6.14.2009

Training Blog #7: Real-life

Posted by with 24 comments
dog42.gif (GIF Image, 31x30 pixels)

Training in Real-Life- eesh...how scury.


Hey bloggiepals. you tagged along on my last walkie... but, i wasn't exactly finished. it's time to put my countless hours of training to the test.

A quick reminder- how does the saying go, you can take the girl out of brooklyn, but you can't take the brooklyn out of the girl.. well, this happens when a dog is near, or within a 5 mile radius.
you'll see.


Here's where we left off.. i was taking a breather. drooling, scritching in the grassies.

feeling hunger pains so time to head home.

hold up! hold the phone! wait just one minute.. dog alert dog alert.

Here's your chance: get your superpowahful foodables ready, clicker & your bag of tricks! your job is to keep me under threshold.






can't see the dog? i know he's therah.. like all the way across the 5 mile parking lot. Time for the Look At That game (by Leslie McDevitt).

How to play:

I look at that DOG

i have to turn back to look at mom

*CLICK* & treat

we like to add the 'Find it' game to it too.
when i turn to look at you-- sprinkle the treats on the ground


(sniffing the ground is a calming signal to other dogs and to myself. see me relax a little bit more!)



Believe it or not, this is progress- i use to go into a frenzy, standing on my hinds legs, spinning around and other madnezz. (too embarrass to even say this)

now i can still keep my thinking brain or as Emma Parson says, 'my brain is still working' by being able to respond and take treats. she also recommends always working below threshold -even if it is a significant distance.

Hope i didn't scur anyone. .. yes you could say i'm rough around the edges but all cookies on the inside. of course training is not ovah for moi. i'm signed up for summer school-puggeash! one day i'll be able to have goofball fun like my cuzin, Norwood. sigh.

kiss kisses,


Interested in learning more about my reactive dog training
Read old my old Training Blogs

24 WOO WOOs:

Sally said...

Well done Tula - you are doing really well. Paddy would like to hire you as his Bodyguard - D is playing the role of identifying dogs around us - but she isn't as good as you! Keep up the good work,
Licks
Sally

Sharon said...

I'm proud of you Tula. Thank goodness you have such a loving mother cuz you are definitely worth all the work she has put into you!

Bruce said...

Tula:
I am so glad you found Dee...someone who believes in you, even though you're not perfect. I can tell that she loves you very much. I can also see that you are trying very hard to do what she wants you to do. I'm proud of you Tula, but I am also proud of Dee for being so patient and loving.
your buddy & fellow lucky adoptee,
Bruce:)

bbes tribe said...

Good job Tula. You are fortunate to have someone special like your Mom to help you. We can tell she loves you. Mom will check out some of the earlier training blogs.
Have a great and fun day.
Ernie & Sasha

T said...

Good job Tula! I am proud of you. Your mom is doing great too with helping you.

Keep up the good work, you are a very special girl, and only deserve the best!

Jacks, Narra, Tuchuck, and Rousseau said...

Good work, girl! We know how hard it is, but you're doing great! And not just that, we're totally impressed with serious detection skillz!

Cheers!
JNTR

Kimberly said...

Hi Tula,
it's me Bell girl. I have something for woo on my bloggy so get ovfur there if you can.

pee ess.. my mom took me to dog beach and I played with an akita, i think I like Akitas. he was so fun and he was 9 months old JUST LIKE ME. My mom saw another Akita named KITKAT but KitKat didn't play w/me. BOOO..
COME BY SOON!
BELL

The Oceanside Animals said...

Well done, Tula -- it's not easy breaking a reactive habit! Your mom has obviously done a lot of work with you!

Mason Dixie said...

Well done Tula and a great big HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!

Bruce said...

HAPPY BARKDAY TULA!!! How old are you? Hope you have a day filled with FUN!
your pal,
Bruce:)
p.s. you have to come visit me cuz I did a post for you today:)

Noah the Airedale said...

A little birdy told us it was your birthday. Happy birthday Tula from your pals down under and well done too!!!!!!

tailwags
Noah Willow Tess Lucy

Anya said...

Happy Birthday Tula

( we are coming over from Bruce,
he send us ^____^)

Have a nice day..........

Kareltje =^.^=

The Creek Cats said...

Happy Barkday, Tula!!
We hope your day is super fabulous!c

Luna ( from Brazil ) said...

Happy Birthday Tula!!!
Hi...I'm Luna, I came from Bruce's blog!
Your blog is cool and you deserve all happiness in your life!
Purrs and love from Brazil
Luna

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Tula, monstah!!! Happy Barkday!!! I hope your day is the best ever!!!

Your dong great in the trianing videoa, too!!! It's hard work, relaxing someitmes!!! Your handler is doing a great job of refocusing.

Grampa Wabbit was dog aggressive and we used a ball or toy to refocus him, because it didn't disappear like food... It was hard to be load and obnoxious with a toy stuffed in your mouth and easier to focus on me when I was tugging and tossing it making him sit for it.

Cyndi and Stumpy said...

Fun Auntie Dee, your patience and commitment to Tula are awesome!!!

Amber-Mae said...

Good job Tula! You're doing good..

Smoochies,
Solid Gold "Actress"

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

You are a natural Tula.. We heard it was your Birthday..
Happy Birthday...

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Eric said...

Happy Barkday Tula!! I hope you had the bestest day you Cookie Monster with a secret softie centre!!

Those videos of you showed just how wagging well your doing Tula. I can see you and your Mom have done oodles of work together. Know what - made me smile and smile for you both. You will get there, I know it.

Sending you some wiries barkday kissies and loving,

Eric xxxxx

The Island Cats said...

Hey, Happy Birthday, Tula!!! We share the same birthday...how cool is that??? Hope you're having as good a day as I am!!!

Wally

Asta said...

Tula
You awe wondewful!!!!
I also came to wish you a vewy Happy Biwfday!!!
I saw the cake that Nowwwood baked you, I hope you enjoy it and have a gweat day!
Stay healthy and many many mooowe
smoochie kisses
ASTA

Unknown said...

hope you having a fantastic birfday monstah!
goofball and fab

Molly the Airedale said...

Happy birthday, Tula! Norwood spilled the beans!
We hope you're having the best day ever with lots of treats and ICE CREAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love ya lots,
Maggie and Mitch

Agatha and Archie said...

Well as we said WE ARE DAYS BEHIND....you look very good here!!!!!! Training is so hard but well worht it we think..We are glad you are doing os well!!! Love and kisses A+A